Why can't I get a mortgage?

A popular question that many ask themselves is "why can't I get a mortgage?" This questions also ties directly into last weeks post. So, if you haven't read it already, please check it out: Rent or Buy? That is the question!
This is a great question when oftentimes we believe that we are pretty well off and could probably afford a mortgage payment more easily than we can rent! However, a bank is required in the process of a mortgage and it's usually very long-term (i.e. 15 year or 30 year loan to buy a house). This requires some good faith on the part of the bank in lending this money. A friend ask me this past week if I could help explain why he and his girlfriend could not get a mortgage. He began my telling me that she had better credit than he did and she had a really good credit score of almost 700... huh? Really good?!?! Well, let's start there... if you have a credit score under 700, I would not personally consider that to be really good. However, it will not necessarily preclude you from getting a mortgage; but, let's keep in on the 100 and not kid ourselves along the way.

I began to tell him that it is likely due to his income to debt ratio. He told me that the banker actually said something about that. I told him that they will have a certain ratio they will use to dictate whether or not a loan will be offered to you. If you do not meet this break-off point then you will likely not be offered the loan regardless of your credit score. I also began to tell him about my own personal situation. I have a credit score over 800 and have for years. However, Apple will not give me their new credit card because I have too much debt to my rate of income, according to them. Now, granted I do have a mortgage which is A LOT of debt on my liabilities and evidently Apple doesn't like that as a lot of people are getting the Apple Card without the financial position that I have (not bragging, because I don't really have anything to brag about, just keep it real).

All that to say, banks are not handing out mortgages anymore like the suckers they typically have up at the teller counters for everyone to enjoy. You have to have some good "numbers" that they can hang their hat on. So, do your homework prior to mortgage application. Get rid of some of your debt FIRST so that when you go into the bank, you have a higher income to debt ratio. Money in the bank is not going to help. Now, if you have a substantial down-payment, this can oftentimes cause eyebrows to raise; so, do your homework, find out about downpayment thresholds, income to debt ratios and go in armed and ready to GET THAT MORTGAGE!

No comments:

Post a Comment